Shout this name from the rooftops, Todd Willingham. He was innocent and Texas killed him. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, in 2006, wrote that, in the modern judicial system there has not been “a single case–not one–in which it is clear that a person was executed for a crime he did not commit. If such an event had occurred in recent years, we would not have to hunt for it; the innocent’s name would be shouted from the rooftops.”
What you can do:
1) Sign the petition to the person who wins the election on November 2, 2010 to become governor of Texas, either the current Governor Rick Perry or Democratic nominee Bill White, urging them to acknowledge that the fire in the Cameron Todd Willingham case was not arson, therefore no crime was committed and on February 17, 2004, Texas executed an innocent man.
2) Write or call Governor Perry.
Please contact Texas Governor Rick Perry and urge him to halt all executions because Texas has executed an innocent person. His office keeps count how many people contact them about issues, so it is important that you take a moment to contact him.
If you live in the U.S. you can send Perry an email by filling out the form on his website. If you live outside the U.S., you can also use the form, but his form is set up to only accept U.S. addresses, so you have to choose a U.S. state, such as TX, and then in the body of your letter, put your full actual address, including your actual country, so that he knows where you actually live. You can call and leave him a message at (512) 463-1782.
3) Hold a demonstration in your city with a group of people. Make a banner or signs and “shout out” that Todd Willingham was innocent. You don’t necessarily need to do it from a rooftop (we don’t want anyone getting hurt). You can do it on the ground or maybe the top of a parking garage or maybe an actual rooftop, if it is safe, like a rooftop of an office building, church. Try to do it on a busy street and have some people on the street passing out information about Todd. Let the media know about your demonstration so they can send a reporter.
4) You can upload a video to our YouTube group of you or a group of your friends “shouting” that Todd Willingham was innocent. You can also upload a video of you alone in front of your computer on a webcam making a statement that Todd was innocent. You don’t have to actually “shout” it, but you can.
October 10, 2010 is World Day Against the Death Penalty, so you might “Shout it from the Rooftops” that day.
5) Join the Facebook group Todd Willingham – Innocent and Executed: Shout it from the Rooftops.